Check out the gallery below to explore ODU’s campus and the city of Norfolk!
Food on campus (in Webb Center, where conference will be held)
- Panda Express
- Sushi with Gusto
Food just off campus
- Borjo (Monarch Way & 45th) – Best coffees shop near campus. Also serves breakfast sandwiches and salads and wraps for lunch.
- Osaka Ramen & Sushi (Monarch Way) – Sushi and ramen at reasonable prices. Good lunch specials.
- Herradura Tex/Mex (Monarch Way and ~43rd)
- Hair of the Dog (Hampton and 49th) – Burgers and beer gastropub. Good mac and cheese w/ gouda, giant pancakes, shrimp & grits.
- Del Vecchios (Hampton and 48th) – Daily lunch special from 11a-5p – two HUGE slices of pizza + drink for $5.
- No. 7 Chinese Fast Food (Hampton and 48th) – American-style Chinese food.
- Lin’s Garden (Hampton and 40th) – American-style Chinese food.
- Jimmy Johns (Monarch Way) – Sub and sandwich shop. Delivers to dorms, might need to come down if building is locked.
- Tropical Smoothie (Monarch Way) – good vegetarian/vegan options. Good smoothies and salads.
- Insomnia Cookies (Monarch Way) – delivers cookies to dorms until 3am. If you need cookies & cold milk, do it!
Food Just a Little Further Off Campus
- LeGrand Kitchen (4515 Colley) – Rockabilly-themed dinner-only establishment. Best burger in Norfolk.
- Cogan’s Pizza North (4311 Colley) – Good pizza with a great upstairs outdoors balcony.
- The Dirty Buffalo (4110 Colley) – Best wings in Norfolk.
- Mazzika Mediterranean (Colley & 48th) – Excellent vegan menu. Their falafels are delicious.
- Torch Bistro (601 Oropax) – Great lunch, okay dinner. Open 11a-Midnight. Located near the shipyard 2 miles south of campus. Good vegetarian/vegan options.
- Freemason Abbey (Downtown) – Best Sunday brunch in city? It’s likely. (9:30a-2p) Pricier, good lunch. Open 11a-9:30p.
- Captain Groovy’s (Ocean View) – Widely regarded as the best seafood in the city. Their $7 lunch special between 11:00-3:00 is an amazing value.
Stuff To Do
The Chrysler Museum of Art is free to the public and amazing. You can make the trip on your own or get a small group together. It is a beautiful space. Plenty of parking available. And the Glass Studio has free glass blowing demos every day by local artists.
Norfolk Botanical Gardens is a 155-acre public botanical garden that features over forty themed gardens, including seasonal gardens and a special WOW Children’s Garden.
The Nauticus Museum in downtown Norfolk is a large maritime museum that covers the environmental and naval history of the Hampton Roads area. Paying a bit more for your entrance ticket grants access to walk around the decommissioned battleship the USS Wisconsin.
Pretlow Planetarium on ODU’s campus has scheduled showtimes.
Naro Expanded Cinema is an amazing indie movie theater not far from campus in the trendy Ghent area.
Catnip Cat Cafe is a great place to hang out, drink tea or coffee, play games with friends or read…with about 17 cats to lounge in your lap. The Cafe features cats and kittens from area shelters/rescue orgs for adoption – even if you don’t take one home, the cover charge goes to help the shelters, and you get relaxing cat cuddles and play time in a cool space.
Doumar’s is a local institution of delicious goodness since 1904 – ice cream, burgers, awesome – as featured on The Food Network and Travel Channel.